If your salon is already fully booked in the run up to Christmas, but you’d still like to make more money this month you’ve got three options:
- Sell more hair products
- Run a paid for event
- Sell more gift vouchers
If you want more advice about number 1, you need to speak to a Salon Business Coach. There are plenty of great ones in the industry, but if you’re looking for straight talking, no-nonsense coaching (without any platitudes or fluff) check out my friend Penny Etheridge.
You can read more ideas for running a paid for virtual salon event here. So that brings us nicely on to the money generators that are Salon Gift Cards.
Make Sure They Look the Part
There’s a real trend towards e-gift vouchers being emailed the recipient. That’s fine for face-less businesses. Salons are all about the aesthetics though, so I’d recommend an attractive gift card or gift certificate that can be put in an envelope or wrapped in a box.
When you have nice looking gift cards, display them beautifully on your reception desk and your retail units, just as you would your other Christmas gift sets.
And, most importantly, take photos of the displays. You should put these on your website and on your social media pages.
Set Gift Card Rules That are Fair
You need to set rules that work for your salon, but I have two pet hates when it comes to salon gift vouchers:
- Being charged more than the value of the card.
You can just about justify a delivery fee (just about!), but admin fees or charges to cover the sales costs leave a bad taste in the mouth, so think before you apply.
- Limited time to use your voucher
If someone has given you their cash, they should be able to use the voucher at a time that works for them. If you want to put a use-by date on it, 2 years isn’t going to offend anyone; you can just about get away with 1 year, but time goes really quickly so 6 months just isn’t long enough.
It’s essential that you are clear about your Ts and Cs. For example, can your vouchers be used in conjunction with other offers? These should be posted on your website and ideally on the card.
How to Sell More Gift Cards
Selling more gift cards begins by making sure everyone knows that you stock them. If you have online shopping on your salon website, or can sell vouchers through your online booking system, make sure they are easy to buy online.
Run regular posts (at least one per week) on your social media to remind people that Gift Cards are available at your salon.
Change your Instagram ‘link in bio’ to the buy gift vouchers page.
Run regular Stories (at least 3 a week) talking about your Gift Cards. Go on, be brave and ‘go live’ to tell people what a popular gift they make.
Create a promotion that will really work. I’ve spoken about this in my Black Friday ideas, but there are plenty of ways you can add value below.
Run a Facebook ad to make sure that your promotion gets as much awareness as possible.
Email your mailing list to remind them that a salon gift voucher will be a fab gift.
Salon Gift Card Promotions That Work
It might seem obvious, but you do need to remember that gift vouchers are going to be spent in your salon, so that means clients are paying for your team’s time.
If you decide you want to give vouchers away for free, please do the maths first to make sure it isn’t actually going to cost you money.
These are some gift card promotions that can bring in some much-needed income for you this month.
- Spend £50 or more on gift cards and get another £10 gift card for free.
- Spend £100, get 5 more gift cards for £10 each to give to friends (these must be used separately)
- Spend £40 get £50; Spend £75 get £100; Spend £150 get £200.
- Buy one gift card; get another for free.
If you decide to run a too good to be true offer like the last two, I’d recommend you only run it for a short time only to create urgency or only offer a limited number.
Your At-A-Glance Guide to Salon Gift Cards
- Make sure they’re easy on the eye and display them everywhere
- Sell them on your website
- Create a not-to-be-missed offer to run for a limited time
- Promote them on your website, social media and email.
- Drop me a line and I’ll run a free Facebook ad campaign for you. All you have to do is pay for the ads (see below).
One last note on gift cards. A salon I work with sold more than £2,000 of gift cards on Christmas eve last year, so don’t get to the week before Christmas and give up because you assume everyone has already done their Christmas shopping.
?MY CHRISTMAS GIFT TO YOU?
Would you like to use Facebook ads to promote your Gift Cards, but don’t know where to begin? Drop me an email before the end of the day on December 15th and I will set them up and run them for you. All you have to pay is the cost of the ads at £5 per day. Simply call me on 07939 51222 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
TS & Cs Apply
- Available to the first 10 people only. Ends lunchtime on December 15th.
- You must be a nice person. I don’t want to do something for nothing for someone who behave like an arsehole.
- You must be keen to run a promotion on your gift cards.
- You must either have Facebook Business Manager or have 10 minutes spare for me to talk you through setting it up.
- Ideally, you’ll be able to update your website too (e.g. a wordpress, wix or squarespace site).